This file has non-ascii characters in it, which is making editing in umber crash ... clearly a bug I need to fix.
$ grep -P -n '[^\x00-\x7f]' js_jan30.md 64:something that looked more professional. I’ve never done that, I got a 65:whole host of bugs I had to sort through. This was also new- I’ve 82:I don’t quite remember some of the other links I read, I read dozens
But for now I've just made a copy of the file in which ’ is replaced by ' .
I've pasted in an email from Leslie below.
I did a bit of formatting on it, and also made a snapshot of the work-internship-react github repo .
I think that the "can't post" issue is that my software is choking on a non-ascii character in this file - a bug I'll need to address.
here are my web tutorial notes, Its not working, can't post them simple_smile
I tried to do some new things this time, I'd initially used "inputs" and other tags to make dropdowns but I think the way I re-did it looks a lot better, less code. to make the form but I wanted to learn something new for the tutorial. I changed all that code to controlled components in a new way, so I learned a lot, connected them all together etc. I read a tutorial online about controlled components so I could understand what I was doing better
She breaks it down pretty well. This took about 8 hours, between jan. 23rd and jan. 24th.
JAN 30th (leslie):
So I pumped out a lot of code this week, and learned some new things. DEBUGGING!! and I made another few controlled components, and I learned about collapsing existing code into something that looks nicer. for instance I took individual inputs for text fields and replaced them with components that had handleChange events that allow for state to change. The tricky part was making sure everything still functioned as I collapsed/relabeled and reorganized code into something that looked more professional. I’ve never done that, I got a whole host of bugs I had to sort through. This was also new- I’ve never actually taken 4 hours to simply debug stuff but there you go- it became easier as time went on to understand what the DOM was telling me went wrong. I experimented with passing props and superprops between components. just generally working to understand react a bit better, Its something that is new to me. I also had to work quite a bit with git/github because at some point, I started working from an old copy and had to deal with that as I merged files, things got updated before they should have, I had to experiment with command line solutions to work with git and remove histories/update things for hours. Overall successful week, this definitely took me about 20 hours of work this week.
I don’t quite remember some of the other links I read, I read dozens of stackoverflow things about various errors like this. But this is kind of what I was dealing with, but you know it takes practice debugging.
I also edited how it looks, I made a stylesheet which in and of itself probably took another 4 hours.