- documentation & help
- installing it - make sure you get version 3.something
- official downloads
- anaconda distribution - another distribution with numpy & all the trimmings
- jupyter - a browser-based python numerical environment
- find recipes by googling terms like "windows install bash python 3" or "install mac python 3" or similar variations.
- online environments
- pythontutor - online code visualization
- jupyter.marlboro.college - Jupyter notebooks. (Ask Jim if you want an account.)
- shannon.marlboro.college - a remote sever. (Ask Jim if you want an account.)
- style, tests, and types (oh my). YMMV
- Project Euler - "a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems"
- Advent of Code | about - "small programming puzzles for a variety of skill sets and skill levels"
- Rosetta Code - iconic coding tasks in many languages
- nano - a simple but good unix (and windows git bash) command line line choice
- emacs | aquamacs - what Jim uses
- vim - another classic in-the-terminal hacker's editor
- notepad++ (windows) - free code-friendly replacement for Notepad
- atom - a web-oriented GUI code editor
- sublime text - proprietary ($) GUI editor
- idle - python.org's built-in IDE
IDEs - integrated development environments
- top python IDEs for 2019 - popularity & discussion from datacamp.com
- IDLE - python.org's app for editing and running python ; comes with the standard python installation
- PyCharm - JetBrain's lots-of-bells app for editing & running python on Mac, Windows, Linux. There's a free "community" version and a paid version with more features.
computer systems vocabulary & acronyms